WannabeRE

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The status quo is dead

Everyday is so different. I mean the things that stay the same are:

1. I am still showering every third (or fourth) day
2. I still have hardly left the house
3. My nesting instinct is so strong I have never been so organized. J too, we went grocery shopping last night (I took a shower to celebrate it!) and we spent a good 50 minutes putting groceries away in our pantry that implemented a new, fantastic organizational system (non-soup cans on this shelf, soup on that shelf, spaghetti materials on this shelf, etc)
4. My teeth are slowly starting to rot based on the fact that brushing my teeth is optional most days
5. I still love C so much I could just eat her little face.

The things that change are HER! Her schedule is anything but. Basically she used to sleep all day, all the time. Now she sleeps for 30 minutes at a time once or twice a day. Thank god the night sleeping continues to be at 3 hour stretches. But while I once had all day to fix up the nursery, return calls and emails, write thank yous, eat, etc I now have a grand total of about 2 hours total, in short bursts, where I can start things but not finish. I rush around like a madwoman during those times and if the phone rings I ignore it as I MUST CLEAN AND ORGANIZE.

Who am I?

I used to envy women who stayed home as having a life of leisure and time to burn. Now i realize you are a slave to an 8 pound person who knows no clock. Nothing ever gets done and forget doing anything for yourself, like reading the paper or a magazine. Or even watch TV. I read the paper this morning while feeding both C and myself. It was amazing. I grew another arm.

I have not worn a watch in weeks and only pull out the wedding rings when I am going out. Cause you know, looking as good as I do, I am sure men are LINING UP to get wit' me.

Basically I can't believe how busy things are and I hope they calm down. Cause when you add 9 hours of work time to this whirlwind I am not sure how I will do it and what I will have to give up. All that's left is sleep and that is a precious commodity too. So, we shall see.

I am really enjoying this, and her. This is what I waited for. It is so worth it.

Q: when your daughter projectile vomits up her milk, what orifices does it come out? A: All!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

they tell me that it gets less hectic after three months but I don't believe. Get her used to a sling or a baby bjorn!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Malia said...

R, you are SO normal...even though it's been 22 years since my youngest was a newborn, I remember these times well. And you only have the one...(wait till you have to do all that AND have a 2 1/2 year old running around too! HA!)
BUT , THIS TOO SHALL PASS, and you will look back at this time (as I do) as SUCH a blimp on the time-clock...you NEVER realize it going through it, BUT, the things you describe will become SUCH a precious memory! The things you write in your blog you should print out & keep in a binder, because I PROMISE you will NOT remember half of the details, but when you (and little Charlotte) are older, it will be a precious reminder of these times!
God bless you & J & Charlotte -and I hope you have a VERY Merry Christmas!
Malia (booklover)

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home