WannabeRE

Thursday, July 19, 2007

I-da-Ho

We are here in smalltown USA visiting my folks and awaiting the start of my 20th high school reunion. So far it has been a fantastic trip - our time in Oregon was amazing - great friends to see, great weather for the most part (an anomaly there) and really fun times. In fact my last night there I got teary wondering if we should move back there - I am in the same "space" as my other friends there (starting a family, looking for a nice place to live, wanting a simpler life) and it would be so great to go back there, buy a beautiful house, get an easier job and have our kid grow up with tons of friends.

And then it started to rain.

And i remember why we left :)

Anyway I love those guys out there so much and really want to make an effort to go there more often to connect with them.

So, yesterday my folks had some of their friends over to see us and it was so, so nice. Everyone was very interested in the adoption and our good friend K and G, who have an adopted grown daughter, came as well. Everyone else left and I was able to ask my ugly, dirty questions of them and their answers comforted and soothed me. There is something about having people who have "been there" talk to me about their experience that makes me feel much better.

Today we are heading to larger town north of my hometown to ostensibly go jet skiing and boating but it is rainy and cold so we will just go up and see the water and eat out in a nice restaurant and then come home. It has been 90 degrees and sunny here for like 6 weeks and we show up and it pours. Maybe it is us. Anyway, we don't care.

Being here and what it brings up in me could fill 100 psychiatric journals. It is so weird to be somewhere you grew up, with your new husband and new life, and try to reconcile the two. I really like it though and it reminds me how lucky we are. If someone had told 10 year old R what my life would be like I would never have believed it.

One week til the home study! Man we need to get cleaning.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so looking forward to seeing you!!

I have to miss the Friday night event cuz the dumb Fair Board moved the Rodeo Queen contest to this weekend from last (my daughter is vying). But I will be there Saturday night!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

Whenever I go "home" to visit my mom or sister, if I look at myself in the mirror during my visit, I'm always surprised to see the present-day "me" looking back. I expect to see the "me" I was when I was 17 years old! I think we all could fill a psychiatric journal about what it's like to "go home." Glad you made the trip, though...sounds like you're gaining lots of energy from it!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to know who Idahospud is. Give kisses to everyone there.

2:53 PM  
Blogger gatsbygirl said...

So glad you made the trip, because I got to see you. You look great, and you are just as fun as I remember.

When you have your new little one, you need to come back for show and tell.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home