WannabeRE

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

And in other news...

I quit my job yesterday.
.
I decided on the PR firm, for many reasons. Mostly it is a lifestyle choice; this company is more creative, I can wear my own clothes and not a suit, the people are hilarious and swear in front of me, I get to stay in media and entertainment, and, and this was not a small thing, my commute will be easier. There are many more places right next to the city that J and I can move to once we have a kid and need a bigger space. It is in midtown so it is closer to my RE and therapist for when we start cycling again in a few months.

Also, and probably most importantly, they designed the job description around exactly what i wanted to to do, so the career move is a great one.

The thing that is worth mentioning is that I made my decision between this and the Giant Credit Card Company (turning that down was REALLLLLLY HARD) based on what will be best for my family - I will have more flexibility to spend more time with my child with this role as the commute will be shorter and they do flexible work arrangements. I won't have to leave the house at 7 am and return at 7 pm. I will be working hard but not crazy, and it is a scalable role. Making a decision on the children we will have, rather than already have, was my first step in being a parent and it felt really, really good. Before I would've taken the other role as it was GIANT and would've been a great career move, but now I am taking a great career move at a smaller place to allow for more time for me and our children. I love it.

My friend Y and I were talking about this, and she said that she too finally got to the point where she made choices based on the child she had not yet conceived - rather than making it fit into our lives, we sometimes have to change our priorities. And then she got pg after 5 years of trying. She is a wise woman.

I never thought I would want to do that, but here I am. And i couldn't be happier.

I have no plans to stay home and this job is much, much bigger than my current role. But I think it will provide me the balance that I will need. I am very excited!

I plan to stay here through June 8th (with a nice 8 days in Hawaii in the middle) and then take a week to see B and superniece E in LA. Some days at home with MFS (most fav spouse) J and then starting a new experience.

Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MFS? Is thee a LFS?

4:27 PM  
Blogger R said...

Yes - that would be anyone I DIDN'T marry. :)

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home